By malmy at 17 November, 2012, 6:34 am
The error message says: "ERROR: Basic authentication is not supported" and I’ve entered my correct username/password. This has never happened before. Have I done something wrong or is it just site maintenance?
I ran into the same thing from TwitterBackgrounds.com. Twitter has changed their policy regarding authentication methods. Wherever you are attempting to set your background from must modify their Twitter app to adhere to the new standards. This is an excerpt from the email message from Twitter regarding this change:
Update 1: New authorization rules for applications
Starting August 31, all applications will be required to use “OAuth” to access your Twitter account.
* OAuth is a technology that enables applications to access Twitter on your behalf with your approval without asking you directly for your password.
* Desktop and mobile applications may still ask for your password once, but after that request, they are required to use OAuth in order to access your timeline or allow you to tweet.
What does this mean for me?
* Applications are no longer allowed to store your password.
* If you change your password, the applications will continue to work.
* Some applications you have been using may require you to reauthorize them or may stop functioning at the time of this change.
* All applications you have authorized will be listed at http://twitter.com/settings/ connections.
* You can revoke access to any application at any time from the list.